Thursday, January 31, 2013

Avoid a DUI on Super Bowl Sunday 2013

The Super Bowl is rapidly approaching and will be played on Sunday, February 3, 2013.  This is one of the biggest party days of the year for Americans and is also one of the days where the most amount of alcohol is consumed by American adults.

Many will be going over to friend's and family homes to watch the game together, enjoying BBQ's and cold alcoholic beverages.  Be forewarned that in San Diego county, law enforcement intends to set up roving DUI patrols on the lookout for impaired drivers.

Even if you have a couple of drinks and feel ok to drive, make sure that you have a designated driver that has not been drinking to get you home safely.  If you choose to drive and have consumed any amount of alcohol, you will be asked to get out of the car and be evaluated for DUI if you are stopped by the police.  It's not worth it.  Get a DD and enjoy the Super Bowl this year.

Are Redlight cameras in San Diego coming to an end?

Per story:  The vendor that runs San Diego's photo red-light program plans to switch off the cameras at 15 intersections on Friday, pending a decision from Mayor Bob Filner on whether to renew the contract.
It won't be a long wait.
Filner has announced a news conference for 10:30 a.m. Friday at North Harbor Boulevard and West Grape Street, which The Watchdog has identified as the most prolific intersection for photographing scofflaw license plates and mailing $490 tickets by mail.
The camera contract ends today, and The Watchdog has been asking about the status of the long-running program all week. The answer initially was that the cameras would be switched off on a temporary basis, pending the decision from Filner, which would come at an unspecified later time. Then, late Wednesday, the news conference was announced.
The spokesman for the city department that handles the program, Bill Harris, said Filner has been evaluating options given to him by city staff for the future of the program.
"The mayor has been presented with the options for the program and is considering what works for the city," Harris said Wednesday morning.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This is the most recent review by a client on

If you need the best, I highly recommend Aaron Hicks! Posted by Steve, a DUI client Overall rating Excellent Trustworthy Excellent Responsive Excellent Knowledgeable Excellent Kept me informed Excellent I recommend Aaron Hicks. I used Aaron 1-6 months ago. Aaron handled my DUI / DWI matter. I have previously worked with 1-2 lawyers. I was charged with four different crimes in a very unique and complicated case. Aaron's dedication, determination, and expertise made all the difference, and a jury found me NOT GUILTY on all four counts. Aaron's legal representation is of the highest caliber, and the guidance he provided throughout the entire process was informed, thoughtful, and honest. If you want or need the best, I highly recommend Aaron Hicks. Call my office for a free consultation of your case (619) 940-5566 or email me directly at

Monday, July 16, 2012

Arrested at the 2012 San Diego Over the Line (OTL) Tournament?

Its that time of year again for the (2012) 59th Annual Over the Line (OTL) Tourney at Fiesta Island at Mission Bay in San Diego. OTL is a form of softball on sand, limited to 1,200 teams of three persons each, playing almost 2,400 games in two weekends with 60,000 expected to attend. This is a great event where people go to enjoy the sun, scenery and cold drinks. If you plan on attending this year in San Diego and also plan on consuming alcohol, please make sure that you are responsible. Police are out in full force and will not tolerate people acting out. Every year many people are arrested for public intoxication, assault and battery or DUI. If you have had the unfortunate situation of being arrested during or following San Diego OTL tourney, contact San Diego Criminal Defense Lawyer Aaron T. Hicks for a free consultation at 619-940-5566 or or visit us at

Sunday, July 8, 2012

New site launched 7/6/12

We have changed our website and our new domain name is now Please check out our new site and contact us for a free consultation if you or someone you know has been arrested in San Diego County. - Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks (619) 940-5566

Monday, November 8, 2010

Possession of less than 1 oz of marijuana only punishable by $100 after 1/1/11

Have you been arrested in San Diego for possession of marijuana? Was the amount of marijuana less than one ounce?

Under a state law that takes effect Jan. 1, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana will be an infraction punishable by a $100 fine. Today it is a misdemeanor punishable by a $100 fine.

The new law does not go as far as Prop 19, which voters rejected Tuesday. That would have legalized possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana for personal use by anyone 21 or older in California.

Under the law passed by the Legislature and signed by the governor, SB1449, possession of less than an ounce will no longer be a misdemeanor or go on a person's criminal record. Instead, it will be an infraction, similar to a speeding ticket. That has some people wondering whether the infraction will go on a person's driving record and affect insurance rates.
Possession of more than one ounce of marijuana will remain a criminal offense and can be charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, potentially resulting in county jail or state prison. If you have been arrested for possession of marijuana in San Diego, contact the Law Offices of Aaron T. Hicks today for a free consultation at (619) 940-5566 or You may have defenses in court to keep you out of jail.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nuñez’s son, cohort plead guilty in slaying


Esteban Nunez (left), shown at a previous hearing, and an accomplice have pleaded guilty in the stabbing death of a man on the SDSU campus.

SAN DIEGO COURTS — The son of a former California Assembly speaker and another man pleaded guilty Wednesday to voluntary manslaughter stemming from a 2008 brawl on the San Diego State University campus that ended in the death of a 22-year-old college student.

Ryan Jett, 24, and Esteban Nuñez, 21 — son of former Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez — also pleaded guilty to two counts each of assault with a deadly weapon and admitted using a knife in the incident and causing great bodily injury.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Robert O’Neill ordered them held at the County Jail until a sentencing hearing scheduled for June 25, when they each could be sent to prison for up to 16 years. Both had previously been out on bail.

Jett and Nuñez are two of four defendants originally charged with murder and assault in the Oct. 4, 2008, stabbing that killed Mesa College student Luis Santos — also referred to in court as Luis Dos Santos. They entered their guilty pleas a day after jury selection began in their trial.

Co-defendants Rafael Garcia, 20, and Leshanor Thomas, 21, had already pleaded guilty to felony charges but have not been sentenced.

Garcia pleaded guilty Sept. 17 to conspiracy to destroy evidence. He faces a possible sentence of up to three years in prison.

Thomas pleaded guilty in February to assault with a deadly weapon and conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon. He faces a possible sentence of up to four years and eight months in prison.

The victim’s parents, Fred and Kathy Santos of Concord, said in a phone interview Wednesday that they are glad the case is nearing an end. The loss of their son and the stress of the trial’s start have taken a toll on their close-knit family, particularly their daughter, now 25.

The parents said they would have preferred to see the defendants convicted of murder and sent to prison for life, but are relieved that they will not have to endure a lengthy appeals process.

“I think I can sleep at night without feeling regret,” Fred Santos said, adding that in this context there is no such thing as a fair outcome. “I want my son back,” he said.

Prosecutors have said the four men were on the SDSU campus and got angry when kicked out of a fraternity party. They went looking for a fight and challenged Santos and his friends on 55th Street near Peterson Gym. Santos was killed; three others were wounded.

After the fight, the men piled into a car and drove to Sacramento. Later, Nuñez, Garcia and Jett drove to the Sacramento River.

A witness said at a previous hearing that Nuñez put a plastic bag on the ground containing clothing and what looked like a knife. Jett doused the bag with gasoline and set it on fire, the witness said.

Defense attorneys have contended that their clients acted in self-defense and that others in the fight had knives. They noted that Jett was stabbed in his right leg.

A call to Fabian Nuñez’s home in Sacramento was answered Wednesday night by a person who identified herself as a family friend. She said Nuñez was not available for comment and that his family wants privacy.